The upside of this not-from-scratch item on my shopping list is that the jars are great for reusing. I always wash and reuse these jars. Call me crazy, but I feel weird throwing glass away (since our city's recycling service doesn't accept glass). Here are a few of the ways I've reused them:
- Leftover soup (on the far right -- it's PW's corn chowder with chilies. YUM!)
- Honey -- I buy mine in bulk, so I store it in a jar, along with the wooden honey wand. I've also stored agave nectar in reused jars
- Nuts -- also purchased in bulk.
- Popcorn kernels
- Chocolate sauce
- Garage storage -- good for nails, screws, etc.
- Insect zoo -- my Cub Scout den made little habitats for crickets in the jars I saved to pass off their Naturalist badge.