Friday, September 10, 2010

Lovely Links: "Putting Up" Edition


Is it weird that one of the reasons (and I have a lot of reasons) I love fall so much is that it is canning season? I get a little giddy when I see the stores put out pallets of jars. There's something about putting up fresh fruit and vegetables from my garden and the farmer's market that I find so satisfying. I'm picking up a case of peaches later today at the farmer's market. I just placed an order for a box of pears. I'm going to hit up the apple orchard by my in-laws' house.  My tomatoes and tomatillos are begging to be made into salsa.  Ahhhh...I love fall.

Anyway, I'm gearing up to start all my canning and with that will come a barrage of posts about canning, drying, freezing, the works. So I thought I'd share a few other posts I've come across on other blogs about this very subject to get you excited, too.

9 Good Reasons to Can Your Own Food - Simple Bites
I think the title to this post says it all. She brings up a lot of good points. A lot of her reasons are the same as mine, which I wrote about almost exactly a year ago. One point I didn't bring up that she does is the issue of BPA-lined cans. Yet another reason why I love home canning.

In the Pits: Canning Stone Fruit - Simple Bites
Yet another post from Simple Bites -- love it! I'm canning peaches for the first time ever this year and I thought this was an awesome introduction.  Mmmmm....I can taste them already!

Dried Fruit Rolls - Instructables
Speaking of trying new things, this year I think I'm going to actually tackle making fruit leather with the oven. My mom and I always say we will, but we don't. I did some research and somehow came across the recipe at this site and it doesn't look hard at all. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Preserving Summer's Bounty: Considering the Savings - Keeper of the Home
I love when people do the math with frugal stuff. My brain starts to revolt whenever I try to mess with numbers.

Preserving Summer's Bounty: Recipes and Tutorials to Keep You Busy Until Thanksgiving - Keeper of the Home
I know, I know - I'm not really giving you much variety when it comes to blogs, but Keeper of the Home is awesome, too. And let me tell you, this link is the king of links. So much information about preserving -- canning, freezing, dehydrating, even something I've never heard of called lacto-fermenting. Check it out. It will truly keep you busy for months if you let it!
 
I'm already wondering if I've bitten off more than I can chew. In any case, it'll be a learning experience. Tiring, yet educational. And I'll be so happy with myself when I'm enjoying summer produce in January.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails