Friday, June 4, 2010

Lovely Links: The Return of Summer and Other Thoughts

Sorry for not posting this week. It's been a bit of an emotional roller coaster with the passing of my grandpa.  I feel at peace about it as he has been released from the suffering and pain he felt, but it's still sad.  As I have reflected on his life since he passed away, one thing that keeps coming to my mind and that is pertinent to this blog is that my grandfather knew how to be frugal -- sometimes maybe even a little too frugal! (Yes, I think that's possible.)

He was a child of the Great Depression and he would share stories about how his parents made it through those tough times by using everything and avoiding waste at all costs. He knew how to reuse just about everything - he reduced, reused, and recycled before it was cool. We'd always laugh at his "rainbow soap" - basically the little slivers of soap (you know, how you get to the little bit of unusable soap at the end of the bar's life?) smooshed together to make a regular-sized bar. When my grandma died and the grocery shopping became his job, he took it upon himself to find the best sales and deals possible, sometimes buying extra in mind so he could pass it on to us.  We kids used to joke about "grocery shopping" at Grandpa's house.  He was a funny guy, a little grumpy sometimes (don't worry - he'd admit it himself!), but a really decent and honest person.  I never had to wonder how much he loved me. I'll miss him a lot.

Anyway, I haven't done a list of links in a while, so I thought I'd share some good ones I've come across in the last little while until I'm back at blogging on Monday. In the meantime, happy reading and happy June! Summer is finally here!

Baked Lemon Pasta - The Pioneer Woman Cooks
Just make it.  It's crazy-easy to make. It costs hardly anything.  It's perfect for a backyard or patio picnic. And it's really, really, really good.

Four Simple and Different Methods for Freezing Strawberries - Simple Bites
It's strawberry season!  I'm just a couple weeks away from my homegrown strawberries. Plus, there's farmer's markets and u-pick options, too. In any case, what do with all those strawberries (besides my favorite: strawberries, milk, and a dash of sugar) - save them for later!  I'm especially interested in making the strawberry coulis and strawberry limeade concentrate in this article. Yum!

Nourish Your Marriage: 20 Fun Date Ideas on the Cheap - Passionate Homemaking
My husband and I will be celebrating our seventh anniversary in a little over a week, so this came at a perfect time. I'm always looking for new -- and cheap -- ways to enjoy time as just a couple. And summer is a perfect time to spend some quality time outside, under the stars, with your honey!

The Drawstring Jersey Skirt - Cluck Cluck Sew
Do I dare? Do I dare?  I need a new skirt (I looove wearing skirts in the summertime) and this one is just what I've been looking for. Cool, comfy, and casual. And it looks pretty easy to make. Then again, I've never sewn anything to wear besides an apron (just made a clothespin apron - super cute, I might add).  It scares me for some reason.  Should I give a go?  (ps. I love this blog - I just found it!)

Weekends are for the Mess - A Holy Experience
I love this blog. I don't know how I found it months ago, but I love it.  It's simply beautiful. And there's the one line, in particular, in this post that I just love, "Saying Yes will mean a mess -- but isn't this precisely how we bless?"  Love it.

 Hope your weekend is nice and messy!

2 comments:

Nisha said...

You should definitely make one of those skirts! I would make one for myself if I thought I could pull it off ;)

carrie said...

I love that baked lemon pasta, too! Yummy.... I love what you wrote about your Grandpa. I, like you, never had to wonder if my Grandpa loved me, either. It's a relationship I will always cherish. :o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails