Monday, March 10, 2014

Truth, Justice, and Cleaning with Vinegar

If someone had told me back in 2009 when I started this little blog of mine that I'd be asked to be a regular contributor to a blog about environmentalism and eco-friendliness, I would have been a little surprised. Not that I don't love the planet or anything -- I've always held an appreciation for the earth and feel compelled (for a variety of reasons) to be a good steward of it. But I never would have called myself an "eco-hero".  I mean, aren't those types of people the hemp-clad hippies that chain themselves to trees?

But as the years have gone by and I've written on this blog, I've come to realize that my interpretation of frugality and simple living quite often results in a green, eco-friendly lifestyle. In fact, as I have learned and tried more things, I've found that often the most frugal way of living also happens, in most cases, to be the most environmentally friendly. Realizing this has actually been one of the most interesting discoveries I've made on this frugal journey of mine.

In 2012, I wrote a guest post for a blog called The Green Phone Booth about seed starting with milk-jug greenhouses. It turned out to be a pretty popular post! And now the ladies at The Green Phone Booth have asked me to be a monthly contributor to their blog. I think it's pretty cool -- I like the idea of being called an "eco-hero" since that's what The Green Phone Booth is all about; it's a place on the web where "ordinary people become eco-heroes".  

I'm going to be honest with you: I don't feel like a eco-hero. I'm just a mom doing what I can with what I have, trying to make the best decisions for me and my family. And I'm not nearly as passionate about certain enviromental issues as some of the other contributors to The Green Phone Booth. But you know, I feel okay about that. Everyone has something to bring to the table. I figure that if I can show people that a frugal lifestyle opens the door to living more responsibly and sustainably, I'll be pretty stoked. 

So today I introduced myself on The Green Phone Booth (and I shared my seed testing tip).  I also unveiled a cool superhero version of The Parsimonious Princess, compliments of my awesome husband


He was going for a sort of Wonder Woman kind of look, which is what I wanted (hooray for being married to an artist!). And let me tell you, that is a perfect representation of how I look in real life....yeah...*cough cough*...exactly. I would totally write up the family budget, can salsa, go grocery shopping, weed the garden, hang laundry on the clothesline, and feed the chickens in that get-up.  

Living green is something everyone can do. As I've said many, many times on this blog, the little things we do matter and they truly add up. And if I can make it to eco-hero status, anyone can. 

1 comment:

Cameron VSJ said...

Hi Heather! My wife and I were just looking over your blog and had a quick question. I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance. Thanks!

- Cam

Related Posts with Thumbnails